Saturday, December 26, 2009

My kids keep using up my print catridges and running up my ink bill. Can I set a password on my printer?

My parents always take out the catridge when we're not using it for something important. For awhile, my little sisters were printing out pictures of cartoon characters, but now we only use the ink for school work. Good luck!My kids keep using up my print catridges and running up my ink bill. Can I set a password on my printer?
My brother did this to me on my NEW printer when he came to town to visit. I had brand new ink cartridges in it and in a matter of days they were empty!


I tried disconnecting the printer by way of settings in control panel, but it wasn't long before he figured out how to get in there and reset it (which I'm guessing your kids will also be able to figure out).


I wound up having to physically unplug the printer from the back of the PC. With all of the wires behind my desk, he didn't take the time to figure out which was which. To play it totally safe you could always completely remove the printer cable and bring it out when you need it for yourself, assuming you don't really print that often.


It's a real pain, I know. But in the case of my brother, no amount of talking to him was going to change things.My kids keep using up my print catridges and running up my ink bill. Can I set a password on my printer?
Start Charging Them For Each Page They Print.
If you are running XP, make a kids account and do not have the printer installed for them to use. That would be the easiest way I know of
Gave up worrying about cost of printing when i found ';Continuous Ink System';... My ink costs me 拢20.00 for 600ml, equivalent to 90 + Epson cartridges
I don't know of any way to set a password on the printer, but you can set a password on the PC itself.





If they will not accept a reasonable limit of time on the PC, paper and ink, no PC.





Where do you get your ink? I've been going to 1-inkjet.com and using generic brands. Also, we have stores here that will refill cartridges for a nominal fee, allow for returned empty cartridges, and sell refill kits if you want to go that route.
Disable the printer using the option and enable when you yourself need it!
I understand the desire to keep the kids from using all the ink up but wouldn't it be better to sit the kids down and just explain the situation to them and have them be part of the solution rather than having to stop them from using the printer? I mean to say that by working as a unit you may find you'll have a better understanding of the costs as a family. Just a suggestion.
It is pretty simple to install a kill switch in the power line going to the printer. If you have smart kids, they will eventually figure it out.
i dont think so :/





you can make it only available from a certain time tho if you want.....so when the kids are home from school they can't print but that probably won't be the most convinent way to do things
  • camcorders
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment